Divorce Settlement LawyersDivorce Settlement Lawyers
Conflict can be a major cause for and element of divorce. There may be a dispute over assets and obligations or bitterness because of past wrongs. If the differences between you and your spouse have become so great that settlement is not possible, a judge will be needed to make decisions in your case. If so, you need personal representation by knowledgeable, experienced attorneys. We have been providing divorce litigation services to residents of the Central Coast and surrounding California communities for over 30 years.
Attorney has handled all types of divorce cases, including high-net-worth, complex divorce litigation. We can help you achieve your goals and get to the next stage in your life.
In the past, the most common way of getting a divorce or obtaining other family law orders has been for each party to retain their own attorney to represent them in court. In a contested case, the parties rarely discussed their issues face to face.
We Fully Explore All Settlement Options
We believe that simply because the parties have each hired their own attorney, this does not mean there must be a big fight. An important service your personal advocate can provide is to identify issues, collect information and participate in settlement negotiations.
Working with opposing counsel, we can facilitate settlement of issues in some cases and avoid court proceedings.
We Know What Needs to be Done and How to Do it
Your personal attorney will carefully listen to your concerns and goals. The attorney then has a job to do:
- In custody and visitation cases, this may include interviewing witnesses and collecting records by subpoena or otherwise. In especially difficult cases, expert witnesses may be called in to perform custody and/or psychological evaluations.
- When child support and/or spousal support is at issue, the attorney will gather evidence of each party’s income or perhaps, their ability to earn income. An expert witness may be utilized to perform a vocational evaluation of a spouse who has not worked for a considerable period of time. If one or both parties is self employed, the investigation of actual income available for support may be more complex, requiring the services of a forensic CPA or other expert who can prepare a report to use in settlement negotiations and can testify to financial details in court if necessary.
- When property characterization and division is at issue, the attorney will gather evidence regarding the acquisition of assets and their value. An expert witness may be employed to provide a report about property value, and testify in court if necessary.
- When debt allocation is at issue, the attorney will gather evidence about when and how the debt was incurred, security, if any, for the repayment of the debt, and other specifics which vary depending on the type of debt involved. The attorney will also assist the client by accumulating evidence regarding any reimbursements that may be due the client or charges which should be assessed against the other party.
- When responsibility for attorney fees is at issue, the attorney will gather evidence for use in settlement or to present to the court so an appropriate order can be made.
- If necessary, your attorney will obtain restraining orders to protect the personal safety of the client and children or to protect the assets of the marriage.
Whatever issues you may be facing with your divorce or family law case, you can trust us to provide essential, confidential legal advice and dedicated, results-driven representation.READ MOREREAD MORE